Show Side Menu

Other Information

Disabled Access

Wheelchair access is available at both surgeries.


There are limited car parking facilities at both surgeries.

What To Do If Someone Dies:

It is a legal requirement for a Doctor to confirm that someone has passed away. There is no need to move the patient. If a Doctor has recently seen the patient, a death certificate can normally be issued. However, in the event of unexpected death, the Doctor will need to notify the Coroner. Deaths should normally be registered within five days, unless the Coroner is investigating the circumstances surrounding the death. A death should be registered in the district where it occurred.

If Death Occurs At Home:

  1. Telephone the Doctor. They will visit to confirm death has taken place.

  2. Contact the Funeral Director to inform them that their services will be required.

  3. Collect the death certificate from the surgery (you will be told when this will be available for collection). This will not be possible if it is necessary to involve the Coroner.

If Death Occurs In Hospital:

  1. Contact the Funeral Directors to inform them that their services will be required.

  2. Collect the death certificate from the hospital.


  1. To register, make an appointment at the Register Office of the district where the death occurred, either in person or by phone.

  2. You must bring with you a medical certificate of cause of death issued by the Doctor who was treating the deceased. If possible, you should also bring the deceased’s birth certificate, marriage certificate and medical card. The Funeral Director will advise you what to do if the Coroner has been informed of the death.

    A Registrar will interview you in private, and ask questions about the person who has died.

    You will need to know the following information:

    • The date and place of death

    • The full name and surname and, if the deceased was a married woman, the surname/ family name used before marriage

    • The date and place of birth

    • The occupation and, if the deceased was a married woman or widow, the full name and occupation of her husband

    • The usual address

    • If the deceased was married, the date of birth of the surviving widow or widower

    • Whether the deceased received a pension or allowance from public funds

  3. You will be given a document to enable you to make the funeral arrangements. If the death was referred to the Coroner, there may be other procedures. You will also be given a form for Social Security purposes. Both of these documents are free of charge.

Local Services, Let